Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Emerald

This week's theme for NAIL is Emerald. I absolutely love the colour green and emeralds are my birthstone, so I was excited about this one. I decided a few weeks ago that my inspiration was going to by my favourite necklace, which was given to my by my soon to be mother-in-law just a day or so before her son proposed! It isn't emerald, but it is glass with various shades of green. Here's a picture of my sisters and me at Christmas when I was wearing the necklace.


I started off with painting my nails black. I often do my base colour the night before I do the rest of the mani to make sure that it is completely dry and the black, which I never wear on my nails unless for nail art, made me feel goth.

Then I took my blue-ish green polish, which is Candid Cameron by OPI, part of the Modern Family collection. I thought that it was perfect for the large circles.


Finally I filled in the rest of the black space. First I tried a green from Old Navy that was similar, but less blue. Then I used my green from China Glaze's Magnetix. That colour provided more contrast, which I liked better.

Overall, I wasn't too pleased with the mani, although it's not the worst one I've done. The black was just too dark so that the other colours weren't as vibrant as I thought that they would be. It looked a million times better in the sun, though, because of how the greens reflected the light. Also, I tried to replicate the triangular pieces of colour by using a brush, but a dotting tool probably would have made it look better.



The saddest part about today, though, is that a few hours later I went downtown and my necklace broke! I was trying to readjust the chain so that the clasp wasn't in the front and the silver part that held the glass part on the chain broke! For some reason, that metal had been wearing through. I'm just glad that it fell off in my hand so I didn't lose it and that I should be able to go get the metal soldered together if I go to a jeweller.

UPDATE:
I got my necklace fixed the other day. (Actually two necklaces because I broke my other favourite one less than a week later!) It cost quite a bit more than I was expecting to get them fixed, but I was happy to get my necklaces fixed. Plus the guy's wife liked me and he did more work than he said he was going to. He even cleaned my engagement ring for me when we were checking out! It is now so extra shiny and sparkly. I felt like I was newly engaged again because I couldn't stop looking at it!

2 comments:

  1. While you may be critical of what you did - I think they're pretty. The color combo's and different patterns are interesting! And - so glad you didn't lose your pendant! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! They grew on me, but still weren't my favourite mani. I'm really glad that I didn't lose it, too!

      Delete