Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Travel (to Australia!)

The theme for NAIL this week is Travel, in honour of Tourism Day tomorrow. Pretty weird holiday, but hey it gives me a good excuse to do the mani that I've been wanting.

Last week, I was planning to do some Australian Aboriginal-style art on my nails. I looked up pictures for inspiration and everything. But when I had done the mani before, I decided to change that to be for breast cancer awareness and kept that up until my mani last week for Tulip Time.

I decided to do my interpretation of this piece of Australian Aboriginal art that I found on a google search.


I like how my thumb turned out, but the rest of the sunrise/set looks pretty messy to me. I think it's mostly because I had a hard time making small enough dots using the dotting tool that I have, so they mostly overlapped. 



Right before painting my nails, I realised that it may be difficult to try to do it on both hands, so I decided to do other Australian symbols on my right hand.

My pinky is the Southern Cross, which is the constellation on the Australian flag.

My ring finger is flip flops, or thongs if I want to stay in the Australian theme. They didn't turn out quite as I had imagined.

My middle finger is Australia. It looks more like Australia and less like a blob in real life.

My index finger is the Sydney Opera House.

My thumb is the flag for the Australian Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people. The red represents the dirt, since the dirt, especially in the outback, is bright red. The black represents the skin of the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people. The yellow circle represents the sun.


No comments:

Post a Comment