Thursday, November 27, 2014

Dreamcatchers

I keep failing at doing these prompts on time, but oh well. I saw that the decals I got from the Born Pretty Store had feathers on it, I knew that I did want to do this prompt.

When I think of dream catchers, I think of Native Americans and turquoise gems.  I wanted to capture the turquoise in the background colour. I wanted to do a technique that I've seen online that is similar to water marbling. The only difference is that instead of doing a bull's eye and swirling it, you spray stuff on it so that it starts to separate. I tried this, but it failed miserably. Instead I tried to redeem it by using the Saran wrap technique where you paint the accent layers on top and then use the Saran wrap to reveal parts of the underlayer.

I really liked how the turquoise came out, but then I realised that it was going to be hard to find a colour for the dreamcatcher that would be noticeable amongst the speckles.


I decided to do the dreamcatcher with grey polish. I didn't have a grey cream, so I mixed a white with a silver to get a more creamy colour. On my left hand, I added the water decals from Born Pretty. I did the same thing that I did last time where I painted the back of the decals first, but it didn't turn out as well as I hoped. One of the feathers looked good, but the others didn't.


I decided to go with a freehand painting for my right hand. It looked a lot better. I'm not sure how I feel about the dreamcatchers, though. They sort of looked like the spiderwebs that I did for Halloween. That's especially true after they got squished a bit the next day.


The colours used were Metallica by Wet n Wild, an unnamed goldish brown by Chi Chi magnetic, A-piers to be Tan by OPI, Koala Bear-y by OPI, Snow me White by Sinful Colors, Low Tide by Spa Ritual, Coach Ella by Fresh Paint, Plugged-in Plum by OPI, Tiramisu by Sephora, and Blackest Black by Designer Brands.


No comments:

Post a Comment