Thursday, April 24, 2014

Diamonds are a girl's best friend!

This week's theme for NAILS is Diamonds because the diamond is the birthstone of April. Yesterday, I decided to do my take on something that I've seen online that woman have done for their wedding nails. I decided to make a diamond ring on my ring finger nail.

I started by painting my nails with Cozu-melted in the Sun by OPI. After two coats, you could still see the nail line. I hate VNL, so I decided to try to do a French manicure. I always get a French when I get my nails professionally done, but this was the first time that I had done them myself.


I had seen online that there are a few tricks to getting perfect tips for French manicures at home. The two most common ones that I've seen are using the round edge of a bandaid and using reinforcement labels. I found some in the study room in our house, so I went with those since we don't have as many spare bandaids.

I put them on my nails and then painted the white tips, trying to be careful not to get any white in the hole!



When I took the labels off, I wasn't too happy with my nails. The labels were too small for my fingernails, so the edge ended up being thicker than the tip, as you might be able to see with the thumb since the gap is more visible. I ended up doing some touch-up free-hand. I didn't even both with the labels on my right hand and I think they turned out better.

Then I added a stripe of silver on my ring finger nail and put on a bejeweled jewel thing, that I found down in my mom's sewing room from probably 30 years ago, to be the diamond.

By no means were they perfect and I had to touch up the white more than a few times, but overall I'm pretty happy with how my first French manicure attempt worked out. I definitely learned some things, like it's better to just try to do the tips free-hand, but hey! Life's about learning!





 These are my cleaned-up nails today.


No comments:

Post a Comment