Thursday, April 3, 2014

April Showers

I found another nail art challenge the other day that has them set up for each month with a new theme every week. This week is Rain/April Showers.

I decided that I wanted to do a blue water marble for the background of my nails so that it would look like storm clouds. I used various shades of blue, silver, and white. I then put one umbrella on each hand.


I used this small cheap blue nail polish for the base colour. It doesn't cover well and it takes a ridiculous amount of strokes to get even a bit of coverage. (My mom actually thought that it was already marbleized when I showed her it this morning.) Since I was going to do water marbling, though, I didn't care too much about it being streaky or having lots of clean up since I knew that it would only get worse. I painted this part last night, so most of the excess fell off by the morning.


I decided to use Vaseline on my fingers to keep the nail polish just on my nail and make clean-up a little easier. Last time I used Vaseline, I just put it on with my finger and it was a huge mess, just a different kind. This time I used a Q-tip to keep it where I wanted it instead of all over.



 This is what the marbling looked like when it was all done.

 The Vaseline made clean-up so easy! The excess nail polish is just like another layer by itself. I just used the side of a toothpick to wipe it off of my finger. I tried to capture the ease of cleaning with this picture.


 Then I drew in an umbrella on my finger. I was pretty happy with how the outline turned out, but then it got worse.

I tried to make it orange, but the orange nail polish was just running and making a mess. I decided to try to put red on it instead. That looked better, but it was still a mess from the orange. I also decided that the black handle was sort of hard to see, so I changed it to the brown that I just got about a week ago and haven't used yet.



 The polishes that I used for the umbrella and marbling. I used just the silvery-blue of the dual-polish.


EDIT: At work today, one girl tried to take off my nail polish saying that it was "just a sticker." She didn't believe that I could actually do marblizeing with nail polish!

2 comments:

  1. Wow i will have to try vaseline next time! It looks like the polish just comes right off

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really does. It is so amazing! I had very minimal clean-up around my nails after wiping it off. Just make sure that you are careful when applying it because it's easy to get it all over everything and have a huge mess, especially since it doesn't just wipe off with a towel or water.

      Delete