Thursday, August 7, 2014

Fruit

I wasn't able to finish all of the prompts for OMD2 in time for the end of the competition because of that whole spending time with family, getting married, and honeymoon thing. But that's not going to stop me from doing the prompts that I had ideas for!

July 24th had fruit as the prompt. I wanted to do slices of oranges on my nails, so that's what I did today. It helps that I'm wearing a bright orange shirt today, too!

The polishes that I used are Jail Bait, Belsize Park, and Lily white, respectively.


I started by painting my nails with Jail Bait. I thought that the orange was just crappy and liquidy because of the brand but now I'm thinking that it's actually a jelly. It took a few coats to get it mostly opaque. I didn't mind that I still had VNL because of the overall design. I then started by art by making a smallish smudgy dot in the moons of my nails and had white lines radiating from it to represent the white stuff that separates orange pieces.

The next step was to create the white part of the peel. I wasn't too concerned if it was a bit transparent because of how an orange looks.


The peel of an orange is slightly more yellow than the inside, especially natural oranges and not the painted ones in most grocery stores, so I added some yellow to my orange. Then I realised that it was too much of a difference and I added more orange. It ended up being a bit lighter from the yellow, but similar enough that it didn't look too strange.



I thought that was going to be the end of the manicure, but then I thought that the white was too big and too much of a contrast. I decided that I would try making it look less bright white by painting my orange on top since that isn't opaque and you'd be able to still see the white. I ended up liking that a lot better, although if I did this mani again I would probably just add some orange to the white when I first painted it instead of as an afterthought. 





No comments:

Post a Comment