Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Pumpkin faces

I had a bit of trial and error for this manicure.The colours were Snow Me White by Sinful Colours, Jail Bait by Spoiled, and Blackest Black by Designer Brands. I also tried mixing in a glow in the dark polish to the black, because I wanted my pumpkins to glow. It ended up not being enough to glow, so I left it out of the picture.




I started off wanting an orange base. From past experiences, I know that my orange is very transparent. I started with white for that reason. Then I layered orange on top. I realised that I had to clean up the white before I kept adding orange. Again that's from experience because otherwise I will take off some of the orange before the white when I go to clean up. I think I did about two layers of white and about five layers of orange until I was happy with the coverage.



Then I wanted to "carve" my pumpkin. This was another reason for the many layers. I saw a manicure on pinterest a while back where they do cheese and use acetone to make holes/dents. I wanted to do the same thing, but it didn't end up working very well. Instead I just painted over it with black. I wanted to do just one giant pumpkin on each hand. I did my left first, as I usually do. It didn't work as well as it did when I was drawing it out. I guess I didn't account enough for the curving of my nails and the gaps between them. But if you use your imagination, you can sort of see it.


I decided to switch it up into every nail being a pumpkin for my right hand. That looks A LOT better. I'm quite pleased with my right hand.



4 comments:

  1. I struggle with designs that pass across my fingers as well and find i usually have to hold my hand in position as I paint so that it looks right... but it still doesn't most times. Lol. These are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have tried to do nail designs that continue from one nail to another and it's so freaking hard! I applaud you for at least trying, I think I've given up on that! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute! Our manis make us look like sisters--similar, but a little different!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very good try on the going across mani! I always get cramps in my hand when trying, because I have to hold them awkwardly!

    ReplyDelete