Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Whitening nails

My nails have gotten really stained from the constant nail polish that I've had on them. I've tried to leave them without nail polish overnight between manicures, but they still have a yellowing. The nails that had red as the base colour for my last manicure also had a red/pink staining. I decided to try a couple of techniques that I've found online to see if they would remove the staining. I didn't have much luck.

First I found a spare toothbrush that we had in the bathroom and tried scrubbing my nails with whitening toothpaste. I forgot to take a before picture of my hand that I tried this on, but I did get a before picture of the other hand. This is my right hand before I did anything.
 This is my left hand after I scrubbed the nails several times with Colgate whitening toothpaste and a toothbrush. It's hard to tell because it is a different hand, but I think that it did get rid of the pink staining and it made the yellow slightly less, although it wasn't enough of a difference because it still looked horrible.

I decided to go back to the hydrogen peroxide and baking soda mixture that I have tried before. Last time I added water and soaked my nails in the solution, but that didn't work, so I left out the water and tried scrubbing the paste on this time. It may have worked a little bit, but the results really weren't worth the effort. 

I'll keep trying to find a better way to whiten my nails, but I really think that my best bet is to wait for the yellow to grow out and take better care of my nails in the future so that I don't continually wear nail polish without giving my nails some air!

No comments:

Post a Comment