Sunday, January 25, 2015

Complement and Contrast

When I hear the word "complement," I think of things fitting together like puzzle pieces. So what better to do than puzzle pieces?


Puzzles also need a picture behind them, so I first did a technique that was new to me. In fact, I just found out how to do it a couple of days ago! It's called distressing. First, I painted a white base with the Models Prefer studs pack, which was also the black used for the pieces. Then I did the distressing, which is just brushing on the nail polish with the bottle brush, but wiping off the excess on the bottle. That way it doesn't give an even coat that covers the nail. To add to the contrast part, I chose blue and red, which I realise aren't opposite on the colour wheel, but they are opposite in terms of hot and cold! They are also in opposite directions with the red horizontal and the blue vertical. The blue was Frostbite by China Glaze and the red was an unnamed Chi Chi magnetic nail polish.

Here's the look pre-puzzle pieces. I'll definitely do this technique again. I really liked it and it's great for using nail polishes that don't have a lot left in the bottle, which is part of the reason that I used Frostbite.



Then I added the puzzle pieces to get my final look!




No comments:

Post a Comment