Friday, September 5, 2014

Blue is for Sonic!

To continue with my nerdiness, I chose a game of Sonic the Hedgehog to represent the colour blue.

I think that this is a world record for number of nail polishes that I used in one nail art. Usually I can just do one row or stagger it a bit, but I definitely needed two rows. I had to put a notebook under the back row to give it a rise so that the colours could been seen.

Back row: my unknown black, Bananarama from Kmart, Envious from Kmart, A-piers to be Tan from OPI, Frostbite from China Glaze, Gold Fusion from China Glaze magnetix.
Front row: Coach Ella from Fresh Paint, Scarlet from Ulta3, Lily White from Ulta3, Bonna Blue from Fresh Paint, Spun Sugar from Revlon Parfumerie, Tiramisu from Sephora, and Glowstick from Wet n Wild Fergie.



I bought the Kmart ones today. I broke my rule of not buy nail polish until I have a job, but I made an exception. When I did my yellow nails, I realised that I needed a new yellow. I asked my husband if I could make an exception if Ulta3 was on sale. He said yes, since this ban on nail polish buying is completely my own idea. I went to the chemist since I had to get some medicine. They didn't sell Ulta3 so I checked to see if Kmart had any cheap stuff. These ones were normally $2 each, but were on sale for $1 each. That's so cheap, especially for Australia, so I did pick up both of them.

I started off with painting my nails Bonna Blue because it was a good colour for the sky in the background of the game and not too close to the colour of Sonic. I used A-Piers to be Tan for the platforms. I just used the regular brush that came with the polish to apply them. My middle finger was left blank for Sonic's head.



The next part that I did was to add the squares in the platform. In the game, the ground has a checkerboard pattern. I tried a couple of colours to best show this and ultimately went with Coach Ella. I made small dab points with a detail brush.



Next I started to outline Sonic.


And of course fill him in!



And I couldn't forget his little smirky smile! That was the only part that used Tiramasu and in retrospect I could have just used the A-piers to be Tan but then I would have used one less polish!


The next step was the grass. Since the grass in the game is striped vertically with two shades of green, that's what I did. I was pleasantly surprised to find out that the Kmart nail polish was pretty good!


 I added the gold rings next.



After adding the gold rings, I realised that I wanted to have the save point on my right thumb. I started with a silver rod and added the yellow and red.


The final product!





1 comment:

  1. These are very cute! I love that you put up the in-progress photos as you were making it.

    ReplyDelete