Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Rainbows- Nyan cat

I've had a design for rainbows that I've wanted to do since a challenge for St. Patrick's Day. I needed a fan brush, but the one that I had ordered hadn't come in time. I had to do another manicure. Then I had another rainbow prompt for OMD2 and I decided to try sponging and did this manicure. Now I had a rainbow prompt again and I still had another idea that trumped it. I had planned on doing my original plan until this morning when I realised that Nyan cat would be an awesome one for rainbows. Who knows if I'll ever do rainbows with my fan brush!

I looked up a picture of Nyan cat online to get a better idea of the colours. There was a lot of them, but that's really expected when a rainbow is involved!

They are: Times Square by Three Beauties, an unnamed blue by Chi Chi magnetic, Summer Rose by boe, Scarlet by ulta3, my unknown black, No Room for the Blues by OPI, Coach Ella by Fresh Paint, Bananarama by Kmart, Plugged in Plum by OPI, Lily White by ulta3, and Glowstick by Wet n Wild Fergie.


I started with painting my nails the dark blue from Chi Chi magnetic because it best represented the background colour of the Nyan cat video.


I knew that it was too dark of a colour to directly paint on, so I put down some white paint where I was going to be painting next. In this case, it was the rainbow.


The rainbow was done with a small brush. The white really did the trick. I could tell because some of the red overlapped where there wasn't white. It is very hard to see that. The orange and purple and both blended colours. I mixed the Scarlet and Bananarama for the yellow. The purple, which is barely on my nails, is a mixture of Plugged in Plum and No Room for the Blues since I didn't have a purple that was the colour that I was looking for.


The next white part was the cat. I also painted the black outlines at this point because I wanted to be able to paint over them a bit with the colour if they got too thick. I learned that from doing Yoshi and Sonic earlier this month.


The next part that I filled in was the pop-tart bit of Nyan cat. I made an outline in Coach Ella, to represent the crust part, and filled in the rest with Summer Rose.


I mixed the gray for the cat with my black and the Lily White. I don't have a gray creme and I was debating using a metallic one. I decided that a mix would look better and more like the original.


I added the face and the dots on the pop-tart. The dots are Times Square. I also added the background stars.




1 comment: