Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Inspired by a Movie

I thought for a while about what I favourite animated movie was. I wanted to do something animated because I love painting characters. My favourite is Beauty and the Beast, but I did that earlier this month, so I decided to go with Finding Nemo.

I used a lot of colours for this manicure. Bonna Blue by Fresh Paint, Radiant Violet by Three Beauties, No Room for the Blues by OPI, Frostbite by China Glaze, Bananarama by Kmart, Shark Attack by Sephora, Summer Rose by boe, Snow Me White by Sinful Colours, Jailbait by Spoiled, A-Piers to be Tan by OPI, Low Tide by Spa Ritual, and my unknown black.


I started off with a sponge manicure for the background colour. The ocean has so many different shades of blue that I wanted to incorporate that. I started with Bonna Blue and sponged on No Room for the Blues, Frostbite, and a bit of Radiant Violet.



I actually LOVED how these turned out (after I added the top coat so that they had a shine and it was easier to paint on top of). I almost didn't want to paint characters over them! But I knew that it wasn't really Finding Nemo inspired without them! I used my small dotting tool as the only tool to paint the characters.


The first character that I painted was Bruce. I actually remembered to take step by step pictures of painting him, but then I forgot when I did the others. The first step I did was to make the outline. Then I used Shark Attack to colour him in.


Shark Attack ended up being too close to the background colour and Bruce is actually lighter, so I ended up putting bits of No Room for the Blues in there. I also added white for the teeth and the gums were no longer really visible unless you look REALLY closely, but they were Summer Rose.


The next step was the eyes.


I painted Marlin next. Or it could be Nemo. Who knows, it's just a clownfish as you can't see if he has a little fin or not. I started with making the orange blob form for his body.


The next step was to add the stripes and eyes. For the stripes, I painted thicker black stripes and then a white stripe in the middle of the black so just a little black showed on either side.


Next up was Dory. She was pretty easy. I made a blue form for her body. Then I added the black and finished off with the yellow for her tail and fin.


Squirt is the one that I'm most proud of. I think he's adorable! I didn't have a colour that matched the green of his skin, so I did some mixing. I took a dab of the Low Tide polish and mixed in a small dot of A-piers to be Tan that was on the tip of my dotting tool. That worked perfectly. The rest of him is pretty self explanatory.



No comments:

Post a Comment